My Motorways Journey-click images to enlarge.


The Motorways journey for myself was unparalleled, and I'm thinking for many others too! Most drivers and dock workers put a life-time at the Soo. My first time there was in 1963 working on the dock for several months. Albert was a lead hand and I worked under him... he was great! Back then it was called Soo-Security Freight Lines, Soo Freight or just Soo... almost everyone wanted a job at the Soo! City dispatchers then were Albert and Marv . I was laid-off and returned in April of 1964. It was then that I acquired my chauffeur's license. My driving test for that permit was done by driving a car. I didn't have a vehicle that was in good condition, so I borrowed Marv's '59 chev. I passed my written. When the instructor took me on my test drive I told him I was working at Soo Freight. It must've helped because he informed me to just drive around the block with him at 12th. and Smith and said that will be good enough! My first tractor in the city was a single axle White cab-over, later I graduated to a White Mustang tag-axle. I loved the Mustang (except for that tag axle in the winter) it was a cool looking beast on the streets of Regina back in the 60's! You had to be 25 years old to get on the highway so I had several years to practice my driving in the city. There were 27 and 35 foot vans(some step vans) in the city and on the highways. Then in the early seventies came a double A-train (two 28 foot pups) connected with a single axle dolly. In the eighties, most of the cab over freightliners were gone.They were being replaced by Ford conventional power. Triple B train (three 28 footers) connected with two dollies came onto the scene. This was shortly followed by a Rocky Mountain double a few years later. It was a 48 foot trailer with a pup trailer hooked up behind or front, depending on which was heavier. Fifty-three foot vans were in existence as well. Soo-Security had a fleet of several dozen 3-ton delivery trucks as well. Nowadays it common to see two fifty-three footers hooked together running down the road... I don't think they can get much longer-or can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment